If your child is still a minor when you die, the court may get involved in handling any assets left to them. See, minors can be named on a title, but they can’t actually conduct any kind of business in their own names. Because of this, if left to a child in the same way one would an adult, the court must step in to protect the child’s interests.

Sometimes parents set up a custodial account for their minor child. But if the amount is of much value at all, court approval might be required.

It’s sometimes best to set up a children’s trust in your will. Then, name someone to manage the inheritance. If you don’t name someone, the court will. This way you can also decide exactly what the child or children will inherit.  The trust won’t be allowed to be funded until after the will has been through probate, of course.

You could also set up a revocable living trust. This is generally considered the best way to leave assets to children. With this method, you will select a person to manage the inheritance. This also is a good option, because it is effective even if you only become incapacitates. Plus, these assets are protected from the courts, creditors and irresponsible spending.

Do You Need A California Realtor Specializing In Probate?

Search California probate properties instantly using the search below.

We are experts in the probate sale under the probate code and trust law. So, we know the California Probate Code. We won’t let you get lost in it. If you need a real estate agent in California specializing in probate, please contact us today! We are upfront and honest about the costs of probate. Everyone wants to know about probate fees, but no one wants to talk about them. We will though.

Sentinel Realty Partners wants our clients to be fully prepared and fully informed about buying or selling California probate real estate.We have a list of the absolute best probate lawyers in California available for our customers. Plus, we also have relationships with the most vetted contractors, plumbers and electricians in California. See?

We will guide you through every step of the process.